Terceira Island - Azores - Portugal

Terceira Island - Azores - Portugal

Friday, April 15, 2011

Ta da!!!!

As of tonight, Emma has walked into the crate on her own six or seven times!  I started the familiarization training Monday night by crawling in, working on my laptop for a while so she'd see it was safe (actually, it was quite cozy!), and then gently pulling her in.  She shook for a bit, but then was willing to sit and lie down.  Last night I threw treats in for her to go after, and she managed to put her head in the door opening, but the raised threshold (4-5 inches) was too daunting.  So I crawled in again and pulled her in after me.  That time she didn't shake at all.  After hanging out for about 20 minutes, I said she could go out.  Tonight I threw in a new squeaky ball, and she walked in all by herself!!!!!  Hey, the Dog Whisperer don't have nothin' on me!  I've even consigned myself to sleeping on an air mattress, instead of a real bed in a hotel, since I want to be able to continue her training.
*  So that's my biggest news, though there was a development Tuesday that required drop-back-and-punt logistics.  I learned that I'd have to change my flight to the 23rd instead of this Saturday.  Though it was deflating, after telling everyone at the office that Thursday (today) would be my last day, it's all for the best (as usual).  It gives me more time to work with Emma and the crate, and more time for Steve and other friends.  I did have to take Emma back to the vet (I just had her there Saturday morning) for updated travel certificates so they'd be within the 10-day window from date of departure, but those are now with the USDA Vet Services folks in Richmond and should be back to me Monday or Tuesday.
*  Also, today I received the letter from Wells Fargo that authorizes me to ship my car out of the country.
*  That's all for now - tchau!